Starbucks celebrated the launch of its fifth annual Global Month of Service (GMoS) in the month of April, where we can use our scale to bring together our partners (employees) customers, non-profit organizations, civic leaders and our business partners to dedicate their time and energy to create positive and meaningful change in the communities we serve by holding local service events.
Over the years, Starbucks Malaysia has more than 4,386 volunteers who participated in more than 38 projects, contributing nearly 62,735 community service hours. In 2015, we have 4 Global Month of Service projects, involving 458 volunteers contributing to 2,918 community service hours which benefited 300 young people.
On 23rd April 2016, Starbucks once again brought partners (employees), customers, non-profit partners, and business partners together to help make our communities stronger.
The theme for this year is called ‘Empowering Young Minds’, a program created to empower children to express their thoughts and creativity through writing and drawing. Their stories and drawings will be published in digital platforms which serve to inspire other children. Volunteers for this program comprise of our customers, students, local community and Starbucks partners where they provide guidance to spark ideas and encourage the imagination of these children.
‘Empowering Young Minds’ ran concurrently in 9 locations throughout Malaysia involving around 1,000 children aged between 10 -12 years old.
- Klang Valley - Sunway Putra Mall, Ground Floor, East Wing, Kuala Lumpur
- Perak – Sekolah Kebangsaan Sri Ampang, Ipoh
- Pahang –Rukun Tetangga KRT Cenderawasih Barat, Kuantan
- Penang – Sekolah Kebangsaan Jelutong
- Kedah – Sekolah Kebangsaan Sulaiman Sidiq, Alor Setar
- Malacca – Sekolah Bandar Hilir, Bandar Hilir
- Johor Bahru – Sekolah Kebangsaan (C) Kulai Besar, Kulaijaya
- Sabah – Oceanus Shopping Mall, 1st Floor , Kota Kinabalu
- Sarawak – Lodge International Primary School, Kuching
‘Empowering Young Minds’ is the beginning of a series of program created to support children in their education.